Tips for staying sober this holiday season
A real concern for many people is how they can balance staying sober with enjoying the holidays. I know the holidays present challenges to staying healthy and sober, but I also know that it is possible with the right support and good planning!
While every person’s path is different, I have seen some common themes emerge for my clients. Here are some tips you may find helpful:
• Make sure you take care of your own transportation to and from parties.
• Set boundaries around your triggers – whether that means scheduling family visits during tight windows of time or avoiding certain places.
• Consider bringing a sober friend with you to parties or family gatherings.
• Talk – to your friends, to the host of an upcoming party, to your mom and dad – and explain what you need to stay sober this holiday season.
• Check in with yourself – the holidays can be busy. Don’t get too busy to check in with yourself about your feelings, your struggles, and your triumphs this holiday season.
If you haven’t heard my Klean radio segment on staying sober during Thanksgiving, you can listen to it here.
The holidays don’t have to be an obstacle to your sobriety; you are not alone in wanting to stay sober and on track. I urge you to connect with me if you feel like you may need some extra support.